Cdm today

High fuel prices, towards excise cuts until the first week of June

The government meeting is convened for 7 p.m. Expected on the fiscal side is the extension to 20 or 31 July of the payments due on 30 June for VAT numbers obliged to the Isa

by Rome Editorial Staff

È atteso sul tavolo del Consiglio dei ministri il quarto decreto accise IMAGOECONOMICA

3' min read

Translated by AI
Versione italiana

3' min read

Translated by AI
Versione italiana

A fourth excise decree to limit the impact of the fuel race on Italians' pockets. Measures for the former Ilva, and the securing and compensation for Niscemi. Lastly, on the tax front, the extension to 20 or 31 July of the payments due on 30 June for VAT holders obliged to the Isa. But for those who pay within a month of the due date, the surcharge is 0.8 per cent (and not 0.4 per cent). This is the package of solutions expected on the table of the Council of Ministers in the coming hours. The government meeting is convened for 7 p.m. today, Friday 22 May.

"I left for Cyprus with an already outlined framework that is being further defined. I believe we will go for a decree-law tomorrow (today, Friday 22 May, ed.)'. Thus the Minister of the Economy, Giancarlo Giorgetti, from the Trento Festival, speaking of the text that will land on the table of the Council of Ministers in the coming hours.

Loading...

In the decree, the head of the Mef anticipated, 'we foresee interventions that will benefit, for example, road hauliers and local public transport with the cut in excise duties until the first week of June', but he added on question 'it could be extended'. Among other things, 'there will also be an intervention to ensure the continuation of the activities of the former Ilva'.

As far as fuels are concerned, the hypothesis that emerged in the hours before the executive meeting is that of an extension of the cut in excise duties on diesel and petrol until the first week of June. In addition, there would be support for road hauliers and local public transport. These solutions should enter into a decree law.

Measures for the former Ilva

Giorgetti added that there will also be a measure in favour of the ex-Ilva. 'I believe that a decree-law will be passed tomorrow evening,' Giorgetti said. From what has been leaked, it is the extension of the 149 million bridging loan granted at the end of April to allow the company to move forward. However, the money is only enough until the end of June, and the government intends to take advantage of the elasticity of up to 380 million granted by the EU.

There is talk of a EUR 240 million loan in total, but divided into two stages: EUR 100 million should be included in the excise decree today, while a further EUR 140 million would be decided in July.

Excise duty cut until the first week of June

'We envisage interventions that will benefit, for example, road hauliers and local public transport, with the cut in excise duties until the first week of June,' Giorgetti added. Indeed, the cut in excise duties of 20 cents per litre for diesel and 5 cents per litre for petrol, decided on 2 May, expires on 22 May. A measure initiated last 19 March, after the blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, and repeatedly extended. The cut costs the state about EUR 1 billion per month, and is partly financed by the VAT increase on fuels themselves. The cut until the first week of June, Giorgetti said again, 'could be extended' if Hormuz is not reopened in the meantime.

Measures to avoid a road hauliers' strike

As had already transpired, the new extension will be accompanied by specific measures for lorry drivers and local public transport. An attempt on the part of the government to avoid the truckers' strike against high fuel prices, scheduled from Monday 25 to Friday 29.

Meloni: safety and compensation programmes for Niscemi in the Cdm

The Council of Ministers will also return to deal with the Niscemi landslide. Speaking on Thursday 21 May in the city council, Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni anchored: 'Tomorrow we have another Council of Ministers and we would like to dismiss two programmes each of 75 million, the first for securing the territory, the second for compensation to homeowners' in the area affected by the landslide.

Copyright reserved ©
Loading...

Brand connect

Loading...

Newsletter

Notizie e approfondimenti sugli avvenimenti politici, economici e finanziari.

Iscriviti