United States

CNN: Iran plot to kill Trump. Tehran: unfounded accusations

According to sources, there is no indication that Thomas Matthew Crooks, the man who attempted to kill the former president on Saturday, is connected to the plot

Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump watches during the Republican National Convention, Monday, July 15, 2024, in Milwaukee. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)

2' min read

2' min read

In recent weeks, US authorities have obtained information about a plot by Iran to attempt to assassinate Donald Trump, a development that has led the intelligence services to increase security around the former president in recent weeks, several people briefed on the matter told CNN.

There is no indication that Thomas Matthew Crooks, the alleged assassin who tried to kill the former president on Saturday, was connected to the plot, the sources said.

Loading...

Iran has repeatedly threatened revenge for the US military's killing of Qasem Soleimani, commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, in January 2020. And all senior Trump administration officials working on national security have benefited from strict security measures after leaving office. Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmini, the day after the assassination attempt on the tycoon, had spoken of a strengthening of his security detail recently without specifying why.

Iranian response: 'Unsubstantiated and damaging accusations'

Also via CNN, Tehran denied having organised the plot. "These accusations are unfounded and damaging. From the perspective of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Trump is a criminal who must be prosecuted and punished in a court of law for ordering the assassination of General Soleimani. Iran has chosen the legal route to bring him to justice,' a spokesman for the Iranian mission to the UN told CNN.

Unanswered security questions

.

The existence of a threat from a hostile foreign intelligence agency - and increased security for Trump - raises new questions about the security lapses at Saturday's rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, and how a 20-year-old man managed to gain access to a nearby rooftop to fire shots that injured the former president.

A US national security official said that the Secret Service and the Trump campaign were informed of the threat before Saturday's rally.

"The Secret Service learned of the growing threat," the official told CNN. "The National Security Council contacted the Secret Service directly at a senior level to make absolutely sure they continued to keep track of the latest reports. THE Secret Service shared this information with the detail manager and the Trump campaign was informed of an evolving threat. In response to the growing threat, the Secret Service increased resources to protect former President Trump. All of this was before Saturday."

The Trump campaign would not reveal whether it had been informed of the Iranian threat. "We do not comment on President Trump's security details. All questions should be directed to US intelligence," a campaign memo read.

Donald Trump has announced that he will hold his first rally since the assassination attempt on Saturday, a week after the tragic events in Butler. The evneto will be in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and newly appointed Vice President J.D. Vance will be at his side.

Copyright reserved ©
Loading...

Brand connect

Loading...

Newsletter

Notizie e approfondimenti sugli avvenimenti politici, economici e finanziari.

Iscriviti