Italy extradites Ukrainian saboteur who destroyed NordStream
The man, Serhii K., was arrested last month near the Italian coastal town of Rimini on the basis of a European arrest warrant
1' min read
Key points
1' min read
An Italian court has ordered the extradition to Germany of a Ukrainian man suspected of coordinating attacks on the Nord Stream gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea in 2022, according to a ruling reviewed by Reuters on Tuesday, but the man plans to appeal further.
The man, identified only as Serhii K. under German privacy laws, was arrested last month near the Italian coastal town of Rimini on the basis of a European arrest warrant.
The defence
.His defence team said he would take the case to the Cassazione, Italy's highest court.
"Fundamental rights - due process, detention conditions, functional immunity - cannot be sacrificed in the name of automatic judicial cooperation," they said.
Described by both Moscow and the West as an act of sabotage, the explosions largely disrupted Russian gas supplies to Europe, causing a serious escalation of the conflict in Ukraine and reducing the continent's energy supplies. No one took responsibility for the explosions and Ukraine denied any role.
