Budget Law

Manoeuvre: tightening on the spending review, more money for healthcare

Compared to the EUR 5 billion allocated last year, an increase in funds of EUR 2-2.5 billion is expected

by Redaction Rome

Legge di Bilancio, Giorgetti: "Priorità taglio cuneo, Irpef, contratti PA, sanità e famiglie"

2' min read

2' min read

The hunt for resources for the manoeuvre accelerates with a clampdown on spending cuts. If with the next budget law, as promised by Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, no 'new sacrifices' will be asked of Italians, it is on the spending review item that the lens of the ministry of the Economy is pointed in search of potential new coverage. The only item that will not be touched is healthcare spending.

The picture will take shape in the next few days, when the budgetary planning document with the main lines of action of the manoeuvre, which Europe expects by 15 October, will be ready. A deadline that Brussels has also given Rome for sending the Structural Budget Plan just approved by Parliament. The Dpb, the last step towards the budget law, formally expected by 20 October in Parliament, will be launched early next week, probably in the Council of Ministers on Monday afternoon.

Loading...

The covers

.

Under the heading of coverage there are the 9 billion in deficits derived from the figures of the Psb, the potential billion that could come from the cut in tax expenditures, the estimated revenue of about one billion from the realignment of excise duties on diesel and petrol. In addition to the approximately 4 billion from the repeal of the Ace tax and the introduction of the global minimum tax already earmarked to refinance the new three-rate Irpef. At least 1.5 billion are expected from the two-year agreement, on which the possibility of extending the Irpef cuts to the middle class depends.

2 billion spending review, excluding health

On the spending review front, the target is set at 2 billion by 2025. The only item that will not be cut is healthcare spending, on which the government has pledged to maintain the ratio to GDP.

"As Giorgetti said, healthcare will have its space" in the manoeuvre, confirmed Health Minister Orazio Schillaci. Who says he is 'calm and confident' that more money will arrive: compared to the 5 billion allocated in last year's budget law, an increase in funds in the order of 2-2.5 billion should arrive. Schillaci's concern is above all that 'the money be spent well and spent well in all parts of Italy': not as with waiting lists, he exemplified, where the money is there 'but not everyone has spent it'.

The Judgement of Brussels

.

The EU Commission, which at the moment has only received the plans of four countries (Denmark, Greece, Malta and Poland), will have six weeks to give its assessment on Italy's SGP, which "can be extended further", explained European Commission spokeswoman Veerle Nuyts. "We have agreed with Italy that it can be presented by 15 October," she added, without however answering on the request to extend the adjustment period from 4 to 7 years: "These are speculative questions."

Copyright reserved ©
Loading...

Brand connect

Loading...

Newsletter

Notizie e approfondimenti sugli avvenimenti politici, economici e finanziari.

Iscriviti