Security, Council of Ministers postponed to Thursday: an extra day for the Senate vote and the Colle's scrutiny
Change of agenda: tomorrow Minister Piantedosi's communications in Palazzo Madama, with the approval of a majority resolution to unite the centre-right
Key points
From tomorrow to Thursday at 5pm: the Council of Ministers that will have to pass the new security package wanted by the government after the Turin clashes slips by a day. Twenty-four more hours that are needed for the majority to unite around a shared resolution (and to stem the pressing of the League, which is beginning to irritate the allies) and that are useful in the confrontation with the Quirinal, to which until last night no draft had been sent, for the constitutionality of the rules.
Technical work to sort regulations between Dl and Ddl
After yesterday's summit at Palazzo Chigi, with Prime Minister Giorgio Meloni determined to go ahead to strengthen the protection of the forces of law and order against violence ("Too much violence, enough is enough, they must be stopped") and the appeal-challenge to the oppositions for a "closer institutional collaboration" on the issue and a vote on a united resolution, the technical work to define measures "constitutionally-proof" continued in a series of meetings. The objective: to sort out the regulations, already prepared in mid-January by the Viminale, between a decree-law that the government wants to be substantial and a bill.
The Government's wishes
In the decree, the executive hopes to include both the striction on knives, with an absolute ban on the sale of knives to minors, including online, and the 'shield' to avoid automatic registration in the register of suspects for officers and all other citizens when 'it appears that the use of arms or force took place in the presence of a justifiable cause'. On this last rule, which has so far been placed in the Ddl, and on all the others, the constitutionality screening that is at the centre of the discussion with the Colle is indispensable. The government would also like the urgent lane for the "preventive detention", i.e. the possibility of detaining for no more than 12 hours people "suspected of constituting a danger" to the peaceful holding of demonstrations.
League pressure on bail and evictions
The Carroccio of Matteo Salvini, in turmoil over the dismissal of General Roberto Vannacci (which also worries Fdi not a little because of the possible erosion of consensus to the extreme right of the coalition), is however playing a game of its own and relaunching as 'urgent' also the immediate evictions for all occupied properties, and not only the first homes, and above all the proposal for a mandatory deposit to be paid to the organisers of demonstrations. "He who breaks it pays", summarises the League. "The aim is to avoid other Askatasuna cases.
The Wall of Blue and the Way to Resolution
Already yesterday at Palazzo Chigi, however, the Azzurri of Antonio Tajani had said they were against the bail, which has never so far entered into the drafts finalised by the Viminale. "It is complicated to implement, there is the issue of strict liability," explained Fi's group leader in the Senate, Maurizio Gasparri. The government also wants a vote on a majority resolution after the communications of the Interior Minister, Matteo Piantedosi - the opposition's 'no' is confirmed, in particular Elly Schlein's PD, to work for a text shared with the centre-right - that can mediate and armour the security package around constitutionally unassailable norms. Such as the extension of the Urban Daspo also to those who have been reported or convicted for crimes committed during demonstrations for which arrest in flagrante delicto is envisaged. "Guarantees are needed to prevent them from participating, as is the case with the Daspo for football," said Tajani.


