Use

Trump fires railroad board member and director of top US health agency

Double dismissal of the US president: Robert Primus had opposed the merger of two railway companies, while Susan Monarez had complained about the drastic budget cuts suffered by her agency

Aggiornato alle 15.45 del 28 agosto

Robert Primus, membro del consiglio di amministrazione dell’ente regolatore delle ferrovie

3' min read

3' min read

President Donald Trump on Wednesday afternoon fired Robert Primus, a member of the board of the rail regulator that is considering the proposed mega-merger between Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern.

Primus, a Democrat, was appointed by Trump to the Surface Transportation Board in 2020 and was the only board member to oppose the merger between Canadian Pacific and Kansas City Southern, as the deal was not in the public interest.

Loading...

The Trump administration does not want to risk another no vote on the merger between Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern, announced in July. The deal valued at $71.5 billion, if approved will allow a single company to control coast-to-coast rail transportation for the first time in US history.

Regulators, however, were sceptical, as having a single railway giant will lead to price increases, service disruptions and less investment in safety. Primus will appeal Trump's decision.

The director of America's leading health agency also fired

Also on Wednesday, the director of the CoC, America's top national health agency, Susan Monarez, was fired less than a month after being hired, and several senior executives of the agency resigned. Susan Monarez is "not in line" with President Donald Trump's agenda and refused to resign, so the White House fired her, spokesman Kush Desai said on Wednesday. Her lawyers said she was targeted for defending science.

The US Department of Health and Human Services announced her resignation in a brief social media post late Wednesday afternoon. Monarez's lawyers responded with a statement saying that she did not resign nor was she told that she had been fired. "When CoC Director Susan Monarez refused to endorse unscientific and reckless directives and fire dedicated health experts, she chose to protect the public rather than serve a political agenda. That is why she was targeted," lawyers Mark Zaid and Abbe David Lowell wrote in a statement.

"This is not about a single official. This is about the systematic dismantling of public health institutions, the silence imposed on experts and the dangerous politicisation of science. The attack on Dr Monarez is a warning to all Americans: our evidence-based systems are being undermined from within,' they said.

Four other senior CoC officials resigned during the week. The list includes Dr Debra Houry, deputy director of the agency; Dr Daniel Jernigan, head of the agency's National Centre for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases; Dr Demetre Daskalakis, head of the National Centre for Respiratory Diseases and Immunisation; and Dr Jennifer Layden, director of the Office of Public Health Data, Surveillance and Technology.

In an e-mail viewed by the Associated Press, Houry lamented the devastating effects on the agency's services caused by planned budget cuts, reorganisation and layoffs. "I am committed to protecting public health, but the ongoing changes prevent me from continuing to do my job as the agency's leader," she wrote. She also pointed to the increase in misinformation about vaccines during the current Trump administration and mentioned the new limits imposed on CoC communications.

Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr reformed the committee by firing all members and replacing them with a group that included several vaccine sceptics, one of whom was appointed to lead a working group on Covid-19 vaccines. Some public health experts denounced the loss of so many of the CoC's scientific leaders. 'It is undergoing a decapitation. This is an absolute disaster for public health,' said Dr Robert Steinbrook of Public Citizen. Michael Osterholm, an infectious disease researcher at the University of Minnesota, said the resignation was 'a great loss for America'. Monarez, 50, was the agency's 21st director, He was sworn in on 31 July, less than a month ago, his tenure the shortest in the agency's 79-year history.

Copyright reserved ©

Brand connect

Loading...

Newsletter

Notizie e approfondimenti sugli avvenimenti politici, economici e finanziari.

Iscriviti