War in Europe

Kyiv: 76 Shahed drones launched from Moscow. Fedorov calls for elections in Ukraine

Russia has once again ruled out the possibility of a ceasefire in Ukraine to facilitate peace talks

I militari della 13ª Brigata Operativa “Khartiia” della Guardia Nazionale ucraina sparano con un mortaio durante un’esercitazione tra una missione di combattimento e l’altra, nel contesto dell’attacco russo all’Ucraina, nella regione di Kharkiv, Ucraina, il 18 agosto 2026. REUTERS/Vyacheslav Madiyevskyy

6' min read

Translated by AI
Versione italiana

6' min read

Translated by AI
Versione italiana

The exchange of drone attacks between Kyiv and Moscow continues. Russia launched, during the course of the day, 76 jet-powered Shahed drones against Ukraine, mainly in the direction of the Kyiv region. This was announced by the Ukrainian Air Force. According to a preliminary assessment, air defences shot down or neutralised more than 70 of these drones. However, the Air Force reported that some drones had struck their targets and that debris from downed aircraft had fallen in various locations, adding that the information was still being verified. According to the same source, in the late afternoon more than 20 other jet-powered drones entered Ukrainian airspace. Air defence operations were still underway.

In Ukraine, two people – a 43-year-old man and a 41-year-old woman – were killed in a drone attack attributed to Russia on the evening of 17 August in the Zaporizhzhia region: this was reported on Telegram by the head of the local military administration , Ivan Fedorov . The same source warned later that evening of numerous threats of drone attacks and guided aerial bombs in this part of Ukraine. Furthermore, in the Kharkiv region, a Russian missile strike killed at least 10 people, according to local media reports. A further eight people were injured, and the attack also damaged private homes, a bar, a post office, a shop and at least seven cars.

Loading...

Meanwhile, according to the Washington Post, Russians are withdrawing billions of roubles from the country’s banks for fear that the Kremlin might start seizing deposits to finance the war. According to reports, nearly 286.4 billion roubles ($3.4 billion) were withdrawn in the first two weeks of August, according to figures from the Russian Central Bank. This figure is in addition to the 7,3 billion withdrawn last month and the more than 4.5 billion dollars withdrawn in June. Withdrawals on this scale are causing liquidity problems, said a former senior Russian financial official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Ucraina, 1627° giorno di guerra

Photogallery13 foto

Zelensky: ‘Brutal Russian attack on the Kharkiv region – we will respond’

The Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has commented on the Russian missile attack. ‘This morning, the Russians launched a brutal attack on a busy crossroads in Pechenihy, in the Kharkiv region, a location housing a post office and several shops, surrounded exclusively by residential buildings. At present, it is reported that 10 people have been killed. I offer my condolences to their families and loved ones. Many people have been injured and are receiving all the necessary medical care.’ Zelenskyy then added: “We will certainly respond to this Russian attack. And it is equally important that our partners also back up our legitimate military responses with their own actions, putting pressure on Russia and supporting Ukraine.”

Kremlin: Attack involving 620 Ukrainian drones against Moscow repelled

Between Monday evening and 5.00 am on Tuesday (Moscow time), 620 drones were launched towards Moscow and the surrounding region, and 180 were destroyed in the capital region. “Emergency services are working at the sites where the debris fell,” said the Mayor of Moscow, Sergey Sobyanin, on his official Max channel. Previously, the largest attempted drone attack had taken place between the evening of 15 August and 6.30 am on 16 August (Moscow time). According to the mayor – as also reported by the Tass news agency – 600 drones had been heading towards the capital, and 201 had been shot down in the Moscow region. Sobyanin also reported that between the evening of 6 July and 6.00 am on 7 July (Moscow time), air defence forces shot down more than 430 drones, 36 of which were approaching Moscow. The attempted attack on Moscow by hostile drones was the largest in the last two years, according to calculations by Tass based on data released by the Mayor of Moscow himself.

Pioggia di droni ucraini su Mosca, Russia intensifica gli attacchi

Moscow: ‘London will pay for British drones used in Russia’

In this context, Russia has warned Britain that it will ‘pay’ for the British-made drones supplied to Ukraine and used in attacks deep inside Russian territory, according to press reports. In a statement, the Russian embassy in London accused the UK of having become “an accomplice and co-perpetrator” of the attacks and of “deliberately opting for an escalation” of the conflict. “The deeper its involvement in the conflict and the greater its support for the terrorist machine in Kyiv, the higher the price it will pay”, the statement reads. According to a report published by the British newspaper The Sunday Times, one of the companies involved in manufacturing the drones in question is a subsidiary of defence giant BAE Systems. The United Kingdom has been one of Ukraine’s strongest supporters since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022, allocating nearly 30 billion euros in aid, most of it military in nature. In recent months, Kyiv has stepped up long-range attacks deep into Russia, whilst Moscow has in turn intensified its missile and drone strikes against the Ukrainian capital.

Burnham: ‘Drone deliveries will continue despite Russian threats’

The supply of British drones to Ukraine will continue despite Russia’s threats to ‘make London pay’ a price. This was stated by the British Prime Minister Andy Burnham. ‘The UK is doing what it has long promised, namely to stand 100 per cent behind Ukraine against this illegal war led by Vladimir Putin,’ Mr Burnham told reporters. “We are providing support so that Ukraine can defend itself, and this has been the British position throughout the conflict, both under previous prime ministers and under my leadership,” the British Prime Minister continued. “We are not opportunistic friends. We will be there for Ukraine in its hour of need, and that will not change,” he emphasised.

Zelensky formally nominates Khmara for Defence and Sybiha for Foreign Affairs

On the domestic front in Ukraine, Zelensky has formally proposed the appointments of Yevhen Khmara as the new Minister of Defence and Andrii Sybiha as Minister for Foreign Affairs. Both had already been serving in these roles on an interim basis following the government reshuffle in July, and their nominations must now be put to a vote in the Verkhovna Rada, which reconvened today after the summer recess. This was reported by MP Yaroslav Zhelezniak and other parliamentarians, whilst a Ukrainian official confirmed the nominations to The Kyiv Independent, though he noted that it is not yet clear when the vote will take place. Khmara had been appointed to the Ministry of Defence following the controversial dismissal of Mykhailo Fedorov, the outgoing minister and a popular figure in Ukraine. Fedorov, the former Minister for Digital Transformation, had brought a strong focus on technology, digitalisation and the development of domestic drone production to the ministry. His dismissal, which took place in mid-July, sparked protests in Kyiv and other cities, with demonstrators calling for his return to lead the ministry. Fedorov subsequently stated that he still hoped for a possible return to office. Even today, according to the Kyiv Independent, demonstrators have once again gathered outside the Parliament building to demand the reinstatement of the former minister. Khmara, a former high-ranking officer in the Ukrainian Security Service (SBU), holds the rank of major-general and is a veteran of special operations. In the past, he commanded the SBU’s ‘Alpha’ Special Operations Centre, a unit credited with playing a central role in Ukraine’s campaign of long-range drone strikes against targets in Russia. In 2022, he also led the operation to liberate Snake Island. In January 2026, Zelenskyy appointed him acting head of the SBU following the resignation of Vasyl Maliuk, and in July he entrusted him with the acting leadership of the Ministry of Defence.

Ukraine protests against the Russian film Dau, which is due to be screened at the Venice Film Festival

The Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has condemned the inclusion of the film Dau by Russian director Illya Khrzhanovsky at the Venice International Film Festival. ‘At a time when – as Ukraine maintains – Russia is continuing its war of aggression against Ukraine, systematically destroying our cities, our cultural heritage and our national identity, granting one of the world’s most prestigious cultural platforms to a project linked to the Russian state and its networks of influence sends an extremely worrying signal”. Dau, writes the Kyiv Independent, is an artistic and cinematic project whose production began in 2006. Khrzhanovsky had initially conceived it as a film about the Soviet physicist Lev Landau, but the project expanded due to the vast amount of material produced. A huge set was built for the filming, which replicates a Soviet research institute in the city of Kharkiv, in eastern Ukraine.

The Kremlin once again rules out a ceasefire in the conflict in Ukraine

Russia has once again ruled out the possibility of a ceasefire in Ukraine to facilitate peace talks. “You know our position; we rule it out,” said presidential adviser Yuri Ushakov in an interview with the television channel Rossiya 1, as reported by the Interfax news agency, in response to a question about whether Moscow might accept a freeze on the conflict along the current front line. Russia has consistently rejected the idea of a truce, stating that negotiations can take place even whilst hostilities continue and that they must aim to achieve a peace treaty that resolves the issues “at the root” of the conflict.

Loading...

Fedorov calls for elections in Ukraine: ‘Democracy must not be held hostage by Russia’

Ukraine must find a way to hold elections during wartime. This was called for by the former Ukrainian Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov, who, in a speech delivered today on YouTube, stated that ‘democracy cannot be held hostage by Russia’ and that ‘it is necessary to find a legal, secure and realistic mechanism that will enable Ukraine to restore a fully-fledged democratic process even in the event of a prolonged war’.

Copyright reserved ©
Loading...

Brand connect

Loading...

Newsletter

Notizie e approfondimenti sugli avvenimenti politici, economici e finanziari.

Iscriviti