Trade war

Tariffs, Trump: US wants to help China, not harm it

China accuses the US of sabotaging negotiations with tariffs and restrictions. Meanwhile, the US government plans support for farmers

Bandiere statunitensi e cinesi si vedono attraverso un vetro rotto in questa illustrazione creata il 30 gennaio 2023. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustrazione/Foto d'archivio

3' min read

Translated by AI
Versione italiana

3' min read

Translated by AI
Versione italiana

The skirmishes between the U.S. and China continue with the trade war in the background. Now, after Beijing's restrictions on rare earths and the U.S. response with the threat of new heavy tariffs, U.S. President Donald Trump is sending out a conciliatory message: "Don't worry about China, everything will be fine. The highly respected President Xi just went through a rough patch. He doesn't want a depression for his country, and neither do I. The U.S. wants to help China, not hurt it," Trump wrote on his social Truth.

Donald Trump is prepared to be a 'reasonable negotiator' with China but if Beijing responds negatively, the president 'has more cards' to play, US Vice-President JD Vance said a few hours earlier in an interview with Fox. Asked whether kicking out Chinese companies was among the options, Vance said: 'Trump is ready for anything.

Loading...

China has accused the United States of 'severely undermining' the climate of bilateral trade negotiations, following US President Donald Trump'sthreat to impose a new 100 per cent tariffs on Chinese imports. This is Beijing's first official reaction after Friday's announcement.

In a note posted on the Ministry of Commerce's website, a spokesman called the US response "a typical example" of double standards. "The United States has long abused the concept of national security and export control measures by adopting discriminatory practices against China," he said.

The ministry added that Washington's measures had 'seriously damaged the rights and legitimate interests of Chinese companies', pointing out that the US list of trade restrictions includes some 3,000 entries, compared to 900 for China.

The spokesman also pointed out that, just over twenty days after the last round of bilateral talks in Madrid, the US continued to add Chinese companies to its sanctions list, expanding the scope of restrictions and introducing new policies against Chinese shipping.

"Threatening China with high tariffs is not the right way to dialogue. On the trade war, Beijing's position has always been consistent: we do not want a trade war, but we do not fear one," the ministry representative said, adding that China "will take corresponding measures" if Washington proceeds with the new tariffs.

The escalation marks an abrupt reversal after recent openings between the two countries. Only a few weeks ago, Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping had had a telephone conversation and agreed to meet at the Apec summit in South Korea, scheduled for the end of the month. But Trump himself later stated that he saw 'no reason' to meet Xi, only to later clarify that he had not cancelled the appointment altogether.

The new 100% tariffs, in addition to those already in place, are expected to come into force on or before 1 November, along with further restrictions on the export of sensitive software.

China, for its part, has recently introduced controls on the export of rare earths and advanced technologies, as well as on products such as lithium-ion batteries. Beijing defended these measures as 'legitimate actions to strengthen control over the export of dual-use goods and safeguard regional peace and stability'. The ministry also assured that it had assessed the impact on global supply chains and was 'confident that the effects will be very limited'.

Trump: "Non ho cancellato l'incontro con Xi, vedremo"

US Farmers Support Plan

A $10-15 billion rescue plan for US farmers damaged by the tariffs war and exceptionally high harvests this year - that's the amount of the aid package the Trump administration is preparing to launch, despite the stranded assets due to the temporary suspension of the federal government's activities.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent had statedlast week that the White House would announce the aid onTuesday, while three sources quoted by Reuters reported that the package could be made public within the week.

According to a spokesman for the Department of Agriculture (USDA), farmers are already benefiting from tax cuts, new trade agreements and updates to agricultural programmes included in the 'spending & tax' bill passed in July, dubbed 'One Big Beautiful Bill' by Trump.

Copyright reserved ©
Loading...

Brand connect

Loading...

Newsletter

Notizie e approfondimenti sugli avvenimenti politici, economici e finanziari.

Iscriviti