Israel, Shin Bet chief's brother accused of smuggling to Gaza Strip
Women returned from Rafah crossing: 'Journey of horror, humiliation and oppression'
by Giulia Riva
Key points
A group of Palestinian patients treated in Egypt stand in a queue on the Egyptian side of the Rafah crossing, hoping to be able to return to their families in Gaza. Associated Press reports. On Monday, on the first day of the Rafah crossing's opening to pedestrians since 2024, only 12 people - as opposed to the 50 initially announced by the Israeli authorities - made it back into the Strip. The Palestinian Interior Ministry said this, while a report by the Qatari television channel Al-Araby reported that "30 of the 42 Palestinians who wanted to re-enter the Strip were sent back to the Egyptian side".
Leaving the Strip
For those trying to get out of the Strip, however, the situation is slightly smoother although equally cumbersome. After a day of waiting, Egypt received 50 people in need of medical care and 84 accompanying persons from the Gaza Strip through the Rafah crossing late yesterday evening. This was reported by the Egyptian state broadcaster Al Qahera, pointing out that they were accompanied to several hospitals in North Sinai, mainly in the city of Al-Arish, where emergency services and intensive care units had been put on high alert. This morning, the crossing was reopened in both directions to allow Palestinians stranded in Egypt to return to the Strip and patients to arrive from Gaza. These included not only war wounded but also the chronically ill, whose condition has worsened dramatically due to the shortage of medicines. A new group of Palestinians entered the crossing area this morning awaiting the completion of procedures and Israeli approval for their return to the Strip, while ambulances await the arrival of more patients from Gaza. The governor of North Sinai, Khaled Megawer, said that current arrangements allow the entry into Egypt of 50 sick people per day, with one or two escorts per patient, and that the governorate is overseeing logistical arrangements for both the delivery of humanitarian aid and medical evacuations. Patients are initially rounded up at the Karem Abu Salem (Kerem Shalom in Hebrew) crossing before being transferred to the Palestinian side of Rafah and then to Egypt.
Twenty-two thousand patients waiting
According to Gaza health officials, some 22,000 patients are waiting for the crossing to be fully reopened.
Gaza hospitals reported that Israeli forces killed a 19-year-old Palestinian man in the southern town of Khan Younis.
The NPA news agency Wafa reports that a Palestinian was killed by the IDF near the separation wall south of the city of Qalqilya, near the security barrier between Israel and the West Bank, late last night. According to local sources, Israeli soldiers opened fire near the village of Ras Tira at Omer al-Swarki, 21. The army has not yet provided any information.

