Israel halts Msf's activities in Gaza: 'Out of the Strip by 28 February'
Rafah crossing reopened today: passage for pedestrians only. Access under the supervision of Egypt, EU and IDF. Few crossings planned today to test procedures
Israel announced the termination of Medics Without Borders (Msf) humanitarian operations in the Gaza Strip, after the organisation failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff. "The Ministry of Diaspora Affairs and Combating Anti-Semitism is proceeding to terminate the activities of Doctors Without Borders in the Gaza Strip," the ministry said in a note, justifying it with - Msf's failure to provide the lists of local employees, a requirement applicable to all humanitarian organisations present in the region. The organisation will have to cease operations and leave Gaza by 28 February.
Msf: 'Israel ban is a pretext to prevent aid to Gaza'
Médecins Sans Frontières spoke out strongly against Israel's decision to halt its activities in Gaza. "This is a pretest to hinder humanitarian assistance. The Israeli authorities are forcing humanitarian organisations to make an impossible choice between exposing staff to risks or stopping essential medical care for people in desperate need," the NGO said in a note.
Ropen Rafah crossing: pedestrian-only crossing
Meanwhile from today, 1 February, the Rafah Crossing, in Gaza, reopens to pedestrian traffic, on an experimental basis, for the first time since the 7 October attack. The reopening takes place under the supervision of representatives from Egypt, the European Union and the IDF Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (Cogat). Although the lists of civilians crossing the border have already been approved by Israel, only a few crossings are planned today, allowing operators to rehearse procedures and ensure that all identity control systems are working properly.
Flow Monitoring
According to Arab media, some 10 ambulances are preparing to enter the Gaza Strip to evacuate sick and injured Palestinians. According to reports from the Prime Minister's Office, Israel agreed last week to a limited reopening of the crossing under a full Israeli monitoring mechanism. Also last week, the Jerusalem Post reported that discussions on the disarmament of Hamas are expected to begin after the reopening of the crossing.
The reopening of Rafah is a key step towards a return to normalcy as the ceasefire between Israel and Hamas moves forward: the head of the new Palestinian administrative committee that governs Gaza's day-to-day affairs said that travel in both directions will begin on Monday. Almost all travel to and from Gaza has been blocked since the start of the war. Rafah, which Palestinians consider their gateway to the world, has been largely closed since it was put under direct Israeli control in May 2024.

