War in Ukraine

Trump changes mind, more arms to Kiev: 'Putin nice but says c...ate'. Moscow: obstacle to peace. EU evaluates 100 billion fund for Ukraine

The US president said the US will have to send more supplies a few days after ordering a pause. 34 Moscow drones shot down overnight

Un operatore medico cura un residente nel luogo in cui è stato colpito un drone russo, durante l'attacco della Russia all'Ucraina, a Kharkiv, Ucraina, 7 luglio 2025. REUTERS/Vyacheslav Madiyevskyy

3' min read

3' min read

Donald Trump said the US will have to send more weapons to Ukraine just days after ordering a pause in critical supplies to Kiev. The US president said that "we need to send" more weapons because "they need to be able to defend themselves". He added that Ukraine is being hit 'very, very hard' by Russia. But above all:"Many people are dying and this has to stop. Putin tells us a lot of shit: we want to know the truth. He is always very nice, but in the end it turns out to be useless."

No sooner said than done: a few hours after the announcement, according to the Axios news site, US administration sources confirmed the immediate dispatch of ten Patriot interceptor missiles. This is still a smaller supply than that planned before the recent pause decided by the Pentagon and revoked by Trump himself in recent days.

Loading...

However, the administration intends to ensure that European war supplies can compensate for the decline in US war supplies: according to sources a negotiation is underway with Germany for the sale of one of the German Patriot systems to Kiev, without any agreement being reached at the moment.

Moscow fears

Moscow's reaction to the White House's about-face came in a close second: arms supplies to Ukraine "are not in line with attempts to promote a peaceful solution", Russia's official Tass news agency pointed out, quoting the words of Putin's spokesman Dmitri Peskov, referring to supplies from both the US and Europe. "As for the type and quantity of the continued arms supplies to Ukraine from the US, it will take time to clarify the situation with certainty. Many conflicting statements continue to circulate,' Peskov concluded.

Confirmed by the CIA

.

The Pentagon confirms that, 'on the president's instructions', the US Ministry of Defence is 'sending additional defensive weapons' to Kiev to 'ensure that Ukrainians can defend themselves'. This was stated in a statement issued by the US government. "As we work to ensure a lasting peace and cessation of killing, our presidential framework for assessing military shipments around the world remains in place and is an integral part of our 'America First' defence priorities," the Pentagon memo added. After the White House announced the suspension of some deliveries last week, Trump said last night that the US will send more military aid to Ukraine. "We will have to send more weapons, mainly defensive," the tycoon said, adding that he was "dissatisfied" with Russian President Vladimir Putin. "They were hit very hard," Trump added referring to Kiev.

The talk with Zelensky

.

Donald Trump also told Volodymyr Zelensky that he was not responsible for blocking arms shipments to Kiev. This was revealed exclusively by the Wall Street Journal. On Friday, according to the newspaper, the US president informed his Ukrainian counterpart in a telephone conversation that he had ordered a review of the Pentagon's munitions stockpile after the US struck Iranian nuclear sites last month, but that he had not ordered the Department of Defence to freeze the weapons deliveries, according to sources briefed on the conversation. The call came shortly after Trump had publicly stated that he was "very disappointed" with Vladimir Putin and that he had "made no progress" on a peace deal with Ukraine in another call Thursday with the Russian president. And he went on to assure Zelensky that the US will send all the military aid it can spare, according to sources in the Wsj. But the shipment remains on hold, according to a Pentagon spokesman.

Russian drones shot down 34 out of 54 overnight

.

Russian forces attacked Ukraine last night with four S-300/400 anti-aircraft missiles and 54 drones of various types, including Shahed suicide bombers, the Kiev Air Force announced on Telegram, adding that 34 enemy unmanned aircraft were shot down or neutralised with electronic warfare systems. Five locations were hit in the attack. Overnight, 34 out of 54 Russian drones were shot down

EU evaluates 100 billion fund for Ukraine

Meanwhile, according to Bloomberg, the EU is considering the creation of a EUR 100 billion fund to support Ukraine as the war with Russia shows no sign of ending. The amount could be included in the proposal for the next seven-year EU Budget, which is expected to be presented by the end of the month. If approved by the states, the funding would start to be disbursed in 2028.

Copyright reserved ©
Loading...

Brand connect

Loading...

Newsletter

Notizie e approfondimenti sugli avvenimenti politici, economici e finanziari.

Iscriviti